Thursday, February 17, 2011

Three Cheers for Rotisserie Chicken!

For many years I cooked for our family of seven people.  Since becoming empty nesters a few years ago, I've had to change the way I cook or we could be eating leftovers for a LONG time.   I also like easy, quick meals.   I love Costco's rotisserie chicken - juicy, tender, and I don't have to handle or clean a whole chicken (ick!).  We can eat a whole week on a Costco chicken, which, at $5.00 a pop, is great on the budget.  I use the meat in panini sandwiches, on pizzas with vegetables, in salads, etc.  In the winter chicken noodle soup is a favorite.  My newest recipe is one for turkey or chicken enchiladas.  It is quick and easy and most of the ingredients are in my food storage.

Turkey or Chicken Enchiladas

2 1/2 cups shredded, cooked turkey or chicken
1 quart stewed tomatoes, drained and  cut (or a 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes)
1 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed
Cheddar/jack or Colby/jack cheese - however much or little you want
1/2 cup chopped onion, sauteed in small amount of oil until tender
1/2 cup no fat sour cream

Mix these together for filling.

Sauce:

1 pint of salsa mixed with small can of mild enchilada sauce.

Put small amount of sauce on bottom of a 9x13 pan.

Cook 8 tortillas (Tortilla Land from Costco).  Fill with chicken mixture.  Put in pan seam side down.  Top with remainder of sauce.  Cover with foil and bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and add cheese.  Bake 5 to 10 minutes more until cheese is melted.  Serves 8.

No comments:

Post a Comment