Thursday, February 24, 2011

If I Only Had a Brain

One of my favorite movies is the Wizard of Oz.  When I was growing up it was on television once a year in the early spring.  How it is that I can remember that, I do not know.  I knew a lot of the dialogue and all of the songs and can do a pretty mean Wicked Witch of the West cackle.   I love the song where each of Dorothy's companions lament, "If I only had a . . ."

I often find myself relating to the scarecrow's wish, "if I only had a brain."  I can usually laugh about it because my husband seems to be dealing with the same challenge these days.  What is this leading to?  It seems my eyes are also showing the consequences of aging.  I can read very small print if my contacts are out, but if they are in and the light is inadequate, I am using those little glasses that perch on the end of the nose (the ones that I was sure I would never need). The other day I was filling out a bunch of papers prior to starting physical therapy.  It was daytime and there was plenty of light. I was wearing my contact lenses.  One of the pages had items to check off if they applied to you - such as pacemaker, etc.  I was surprised when I noticed one of the items - mental implants!  Just as I was wondering where I could possibly get one of those, I noticed that there was no "n" in that first word.  No metal implants for me, but I sure could use a mental implant.  If any of you ever hear of such a thing, let me know - I'll be the first to sign up!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever heard of mental implants ... sometimes I get mommy brain and think I need one! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have ADD, think they have implants to relieve me of that? ;)

    ReplyDelete