Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Summer Reads

What is summertime without a good book or two?  I just finished this one.  It was a very interesting and thought-provoking book.  Very compelling.  It is the true story about a Lutheran minister who enlists, at the age of 50, as a chaplain in World War II.  After the war is over he is assigned to administer to Nazi high ranking officials at the Nuremberg Trials.  Their crime - conspiring to commit crimes against humanity.  Pastor Henry Gerecke was asked to do something that had never been done in the history of the Chaplain Corps - to provide religious counseling to enemies of our country.  As I read about how he cared and administered to these men who had committed such heinous crimes, I was touched by this man's Christian discipleship as found in Matthew 25: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me meat:  I was thirsty, and he gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and he visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

No comments:

Post a Comment