Sunday, March 6, 2011

Where Did the Years Go?


Barb, Diane and mother, Alice

So reads the title of the editorial in the Church News yesterday.  For the past week I've been planning a family gathering to celebrate Megan and Katie's birthdays.  I remember our party celebrations when our kids were young.  We didn't do anything too elaborate.  For example, here was a party celebration for my mother in 1985.  Her birthday is December 23, so I thought it would be fun to have reindeer hats.  I don't remember too many details, but if you look at these pictures, you will notice that some of us seem to be enjoying the party more than others.

So, it is 2011 and we've all moved up a generation.  I am now a grandmother, and Ross is about the same age as Justin was in this picture.  My parents are still alive and would have been at the party celebration had they not been in St. George enjoying sunshine and warmer temperatures.   The years have passed, but we still gather as family to celebrate important occasions - birthdays, holidays, baptisms, baby blessings, missions and weddings.  We just enjoy being together, and we love those who have joined our family through marriages.


I want the grandchildren to remember family gatherings.  I decided to do a birthday party, with balloons and party hats.  One-stop-shopping at Dollar Tree!

Just like in  1985, some of us seemed to enjoy the party more than others.  Abigail did not like the noise and commotion going on.  She didn't enjoy the party hat (sorry, Abigail - I didn't mean to cause you so much distress!)  With three older siblings, Benson is more accustomed to the noise and chaos.  The rest of us had a good time.  We played a game where you put a balloon between two people and try to pop it.  It was pretty funny. 



Katie and Crystal

Lizzy has never liked loud noises like the fireworks at the 4th of July.  She didn't want to participate in the balloon popping.  Perhaps Abigail will find a kindred spirit there!


Lincoln loves his Uncle Justin.  And the feelings are mutual!








Photo of Joe courtesy of Lincoln.
 
Katie had been using a very old quilt that I had made years ago when the girls were small and all shared one room.  She wanted a new one for her birthday and here is what I made for her.

We had a panini bar for dinner.  I love my panini press and we use it often.  I like to try new things and this time I made some basil garlic mayonnaise, which was a big hit.  Here is the recipe and the link to the website where I found it.   http://www.paninihappy.com/

1 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
1 garlic clove, smashed
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
3/4 cup mayonnaise

Thanks, everyone, for a happy, memorable day.

2 comments:

  1. I love the quilt a lot, mama! I'll be glad when it comes to live at my house. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the pictures from 1985. And from the party on Saturday. Hopefully Abigail gets better about noise soon! I missed out on all the fun balloon popping! thanks for the recipe. Love you!

    ReplyDelete