Saturday, March 12, 2011

Through the Eyes of a Child

Thursday evening we went to see Viewmont High School's production of the Scarlet Pimpernel.  It is one of my favorite musicals.  I will be humming "Into the Fire" for days to come!  This is the third time I have seen this play - the other two times were at Hale Center Theatre.  I was curious to see how this would compare.  I was not disappointed.  The three people who played the main characters were so talented.  Percy's role, that of an English fop, was played to perfection.  His timing was so good.  Chauvelin and Marguerite's roles showcased the talents of these young people.  It was hard to believe that they all were just high school students and not professionals.  The whole experience was a little bittersweet, though, because the director, Ms. McGuire, is retiring in June after being at Viewmont for 35 years.  There are some big shoes that will need to be filled.  I hope they find someone who will carry on this great tradition that she has established.

We took Ross with us.  He loves musicals.  He was very excited when I told him there would be some sword fighting in it.  He told me he had a favorite song, but couldn't remember what it was.  We had great seats - three rows back from the pit in the center section.  He was wide-eyed the entire time as he sat on the edge of his seat.  He whispered a couple of times, "Grandma, when will they sword fight?"  When they sang his favorite song (Into the Fire)  he told me that was the one!  In one scene Percy was standing right in front of us singing.  I viewed the production a little differently that evening - seeing it as Ross might be - the amazing, colorful costumes, stunning scenery, and lots of action.  I felt like I was viewing it again for the first time - through the eyes of a child - for just one evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment