Monday, July 29, 2013

It's a Jungle Out There

I try to go down to the garden every day.  I read in an article that it is good to check on your plants and keep an eye on them to notice disease or pests that you would want to control.  Oh, weeds, too.  No pests so far this year other than the grasshoppers.  They like basil but have been kind enough to munch more on the one in the front flower bed.  The one in the garden shows little sign of their nibbling. 

It has been so hot this summer.  My tomatoes became a jungle and I could not see into the cages or walk around the plants anymore.  So today I did some pruning.  Major pruning.  Not my favorite job.  I feel so itchy when I am done.


But I can now see into the plants and even the back fence of the garden.  But the best part of this task was that I found tomatoes hiding that were ready to be picked. 


 
The jungle zucchini plant with 20 inch wide leaves.
 



The cantaloupe that is raiding the green beans, corn and climbing the fence.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment