Saturday, January 28, 2012

Thank You, Aunt Millie

When I was about junior high age my Aunt Millie taught me how to crochet.  I don't remember the reason for wanting to know how.  My Mother loved to knit, but didn't crochet.  So Aunt Millie taught me.  I made hats, a poncho (it was the 70's) and then a baby blanket for Justin.  I challenged myself and did snowflake ornaments for the Christmas tree.  I learned to tole paint from my mother-in-law and the crocheting went dormant.  Quilting took the place of the painting as my one true craft love.  But the last year or so I picked up the crochet hook and did a couple of baby hats.  I had to go back and remind myself of the stitches, but it all came back quickly.  I enjoyed it a lot.  Bonnie wanted a hat for Abigail.  She found a picture online, but it had no pattern.  I found a comparable pattern for the hat and another for the crocheted roses and voila!



I tried to remember the particulars of learning this skill, but no defined memory returned.  But I began to think about what I have learned over the course of my life that have shaped me into the person that I am today.  For example, two wonderful history teachers - Mrs. Hammer and Mr. Snyder who instilled a love for history that remains to this day.  A mother who taught me homemaking skills.  Children and grandchildren that enrich my life.  A husband who patiently taught me about computers.  And an aunt who got me hooked on crocheting.  Thank you, Aunt Millie!

No comments:

Post a Comment